Friday, August 15, 2014

ETSYMETAL Jewelry Challenge: Project Runway Season 13.3 REVEAL "Welcome to the Future"

Welcome to the reveal of last weeks' Episode 3
"Welcome to the Future"
The Project Runway challenge: When an afternoon of fun at a local movie theatre turns into a challenge, designers will have to show their innovative side to create a fashionable look out of unconventional materials they find in the theater and a film set. *My Lifetime video here*
The EtsyMetal Translation: If you were making jewelry in 1994, revisit one of your own creations and update it for 20 years in the future, 2034!  Or, make a piece that is inspired by your life in 1994 and modify it for the future 2034!
And here are our 5 team members & 1 guest submission reveal!

This was a hard one, mostly because I have to remember something! I think that it's generally safe to say at anytime in my art career, I make art based on my Photo Booth pictures and influenced by Andy Warhol. I feel that the styles of art come and go and come and go... always repeating cycles. In 20 years, I'm sure I'll still be using photo booth pictures with new technology in a slightly altered way.Torch-fird enamels, decals, copper.

 

I had some forged pieces made in the 90's probably between 1992 and 1994. I disassembled and added black freshwater pearls to make asymmetrical earrings. They are forged to a sharp point and can double as a weapon if the future is bleak.


Shannon Conrad  ~ knuckle duster ring
In 1994 I was 23 years old and kind of wild. I had not started making jewelry yet. I spent most of my weekends out drinking beer and watching bands play at local clubs. My favorite accessories were my docs and rings on every finger.
For my piece, I wanted to create a single ring that spanned my hand - trading in multiple rings for one. I wanted it to still feel a little edgy and tough, but also super sleek and modern.
 
Although I did not create this ring for this weeks challenge, I think this ring fits into the theme for this week. In 1994 I was not making jewelry like I am today. It was only a hobby for me and not a job. As my work evolves and grows so too does the scale. This is a large ring which I never would have made 20 yrs ago. I see my work has gotten bigger and bolder as the years go on and I do not see that changing 20 yrs from now and this ring is the perfect example of that. I also like how it looks with this outfit.
In the 90s I LOVED earrings, long and geometric. Here I have made a more sophisticated version of a geometric earring.
~
Guest Submission
Leidi Jorge
In January 1994 I began to study interior design, and before we had design and redering assited by computer we had to make the drawings and layouts by hand...yes, sounds like prehistoric fact. The ring is kind of a tribute to my own first T rule the one in the picture which I still treasure.
NEXT WEEK!
Episode 4: 
"A Suitable Twist"
 Project Runway Season 13, Episode 4 ~ Air Date: 08/14/14.
 For this challenge, the designers repurposed and remixed an array of men's vintage suits to create a look for the modern woman.
~
So for the EtsyMetal Translation:
Cufflinks, tie tack or lapel pin that is inspired by your favorite look on the runway!
 
~
*guidelines for guest participants*
The pieces you submit must be pieces that are made with intent for that weeks challenge. Then post your  Flickr, FB links (I need to be able to grab the photo) in this weeks comment area below, I will retrieve them as they come in before the deadline.
We will post your name, link, description (you write) and a picture of your piece on this blog. Remember, the rigid deadline for submitting your link is always on Thursdays, 12 midnight, Pacific Standard Time. The new blog posts will go up on Friday.


2 comments:

MusaLunera said...

The look I was inspired by this time was not one of the most rated in the runway but I liked because of the romantic touch of the fabrics, then I recycled a tie with similar tones and made a brooch with pendant made of enamelled copper and plastic ivory flower.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/leidijorge/14805972260/in/photostream/

Victoria Takahashi said...

Thanks Leidi for playing! Wonderful piece!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>