Sunday, October 21, 2012

Fall Favorites Part Two

 We are back with more Fall favorites from Etsy Metal members as promised, including those recipes for Spicy Pumpkin Soup and Home Baked Quince! Enjoy!


SimplyMega 
My favorite fall activity is making and eating roasted pumpkin seeds.
 


Lively Hood
Fall is easily my favorite time of the year. Bountiful harvest, fallen leaves, and eminent transitions.


PeculiarForest
Autumn is definitely my favorite season, I love the colors, the smells and the countdown to Christmas begins.


****************************
Spicy Pumpkin Soup  
courtesy Mary Anne Kerren and adapted from Simply Recipes
 

4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
Pinch ground cayenne pepper
1 roasted small sugar pumpkin or 2-3 (15 oz) cans 100% pumpkin puree*
5 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
2 TBSP brown sugar or to taste
1/4 cup heavy cream

*To roast the pumpkin, cut a sugar pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff, lie face down on a tin-foil lined baking pan. Bake at 350°F until soft, about an hour. Cool, scoop out the flesh. Freeze whatever you don't use for future use.

METHOD
1. Melt butter in the soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.
2. Add pumpkin and broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes (longer is fine).
3. Blend soup in using blender, food processor, or immersion blender until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.
4. With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Add cream. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
5. Sprinkle the top of each serving with toasted pumpkin seeds.


**************************** 
scjjewelrydesign
Delicious autumn!  My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.  ~George Eliot


VirginieMartinStudio
Fall is hunting season. Even if my father didn't hunt my aunts were "singles" during this season and I remember that it was the time where all the women and little girls in the family would get together for week-ends. Girly stuff. It was great.


citizenobjects 
I was born and raised in Minnesota- fall is by far my favorite and most missed season! I always associate a certain light quality with fall that is clumsy to express in language. Strangely enough, now that I live in the subtropics, I associate fall with digging in the dirt and planting- the start of the growing season and a reprieve from the angry sun! 


****************************
Home Baked Quince 
courtesy artigiano 

2 pounds quince, peeled, cored and sliced
5 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
3 tablespoons water
300° oven.  In a rectangular baking dish, overlap the sliced fruit, drizzle with honey, lime juice and water.  Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes.  Remove foil, raise heat to 425° and bake for 10 minutes, until liquid is thickened and fruit is golden.

****************************
ArtigianoJewelBox
Did somebody say Halloween? I finally finished a spider actually in time for the season.
And it being fall, I could actually refer to the spiders that start coming into the basement this time of year for real life reference as to where the legs go.

 

Erin Austin 
My favorite aspect of Fall is the changing of the leaves. I'm always stunned at the vibrant oranges and reds.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>