Monday, February 27, 2012

Featured Member: E² ~ Ester Eve

E²
 Esther Eve Metalsmith


Tell us a bit about yourself
I had an obsession with seed beads and Indian loom-woven jewelry when I was a young girl, so I guess you could say that I've had the 'bug' for jewelry most of my life. In late 2007 I began my love-affair with metalworking, and the rest is history. I intend for my work to have a very armor-like and ancient whimsy, as I am obsessed with medieval and old-world style and culture. I intentionally antique and distress each piece for a timeless rustic feel, and use sterling silver, copper, brass and natural stones for my typical medium. Aside from using traditional silversmith techniques, I love to create organic designs incorporating crafts such as etching, electroforming, enameling, and various patina concepts. Each piece is entirely hand-made in my small home-based studio, currently residing on the Emerald Coast of Florida.

Describe your work in one sentence
Organic and rustic bold statement pieces from silver, copper and brass, incorporating natural stones, and antiqued for an old-world feel.


What are your favorite materials to work with?
I always thought that my heart was with silver, but the more I work with alternative metals like brass and copper, the more that I appreciate the organic and earthy nature, as well as the malleability the metal has underneath my fingers.  Also, with the rising cost of silver over the past few years, it helps to work with more affordable materials, to help keep the cost down for my customers.  Found antlers, animal teeth, feathers, shells, and other such organic found objects fill me with such joy...I am working through ways to incorporate them into my work.


What direction do you see your work going?
Aside from using traditional silversmith techniques, I love to create organic designs incorporating crafts such as etching, electroforming, enameling, and various patina concepts. I don't see myself straying from the passion I have for organic work, but hope to continue to strengthen my technique and skill set so that I will have more freedom to really create what I see in my head.  


What is the best advice you've ever been given?
My father taught me that honesty is the key to a peaceful heart, and a happy life.  This has proven incredibly true, and I treasure this invaluable training that he gave me when I was young.

If you could add one tool to your collection what would it be? 
A rolling mill at the top of my wishlist, I know that I could create some really interesting patterns to add to my work.  

What do you listen to in the studio?
Discovering new music is a great passion of mine.  I'm a child of the 90's era music, so much of what I love was created in that decade, but I love earlier and some recent music just as well.  Usually in the studio I tend to listen to more mellow and soulful artists, but I love my heavy metal just the same ;o)
I'll just list a few here that I've recently added to my playlist:
Adele, Arcade Fire, Cowboy Junkies, Dangermouse (the new album with Jack White and Norah Jones), Das Racist, Deftones (always a huge fan!), Florence & The Machine, Mazzy Starr, Johnny Cash, Lissie, Lykke Li, Metallica, Minnie Driver, Morcheeba, Mumford & Sons, Neko Case, Nina Simone, Portishead, Shakira (I'm terrible at booty-shakin, but sometimes need to spice things up in the studio and get a little crazy!), Smashing Pumpkins, The Ravenonettes, Thievery Corporation, Zach Brown Band, Zola Jesus.


What is your most prized possession? 
My mothers tiny gold mirror, that is engraved with her name and fits perfectly in those little pockets inside most purses.  I'm so scared I'll lose it, so I never actually put it in my purse...it usually stays in my jewelry box where I can still see it daily.  She passed when I was 14, and I will always treasure the memory when I would admire the mirror when I was a child and she would let me play in her purse.

Do you collect anything? If so, do you display your collections? 
I adore old and rusty tins, small carved wooden boxes from around the world, and tiny cigar boxes....I have them stashed all over the house and keep jewelry, stones, matches, etc in them. There are plenty of Etsy Vintage sellers that I frequent to eye their wares!


How do you spend most of your free time? 
I have recently re-located to a beach very close to Destin, FL, and so any free time is spent mostly wandering around the gorgeous emerald beaches.  This particular part of the gulf coast is known for washing in some of the most beautiful shells!  Other than that, my hubby and I are big movie buffs, particularly action, sci-fi, post apocalyptic, I love to tend to my small plant garden on my apartment balcony, read a good book when I have a chance, and cook wholesome and flavorful meals.

Where can we see your work? (shops, blogs, upcoming events, installations, etc)
You can find my work in my Etsy Shop, My blog, and my Flickr.  

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>