Friday, October 14, 2011

Project Runway: Season 9; Episode 11 - "This is for the Birds"


This Week's Challenge:
Season 9; Episode 11

Project Runway Challenge:
For this episode, exotic birds serve as the inspiration for the L'Oreal Challenge. The designer's must really step up their game when Tim reveals that during judging they will go head-to-head with one other designer putting one in the top and one in the bottom.

Our EtsyMetal Challenge Translation:
Create a piece (or two) using the birds, Charming Cockatoo, Watchful Owl, Audacious Amazon, or Sultry Raven. You may use the color pallet of the L'Oreal Limited Edition Collection, Colors Take Flight or the birds themselves

Here are the submissions:

I created a piece based on the Audacious Amazon. The colors are kind of crazy for an outfit, but for jewelry I love them!


He is so handsome!


I love owls - I cut out a simple owl silhouette in copper....

I started out doing a piece based on the colorful Amazon and ended up being inspired by the blackest of black birds, the Raven.
I have always had a place in my heart for the raven. They are known to be harbingers of mysticism and magic.


I love to put texture on everything I create. This week I found myself challenged to "restrain" from overdoing it. I had these shapes cut out that I wanted to make heavily textured feathers for earrings. I started sanding them & realized that maybe the silhouette was enough. I really struggled (as Joshua does) to stop at this point. But I did, and I am glad that I could.


I had to go with the sultry raven. Ravens are a highly successful species due to their high level of intelligence, flexibility, and adaptability. Wild ravens can live more than 30 years. Their coloring is glossy black with iridescent greens and blues.
Long fold formed copper pieces enameled black and with green and blue lusters. Black Swarovsky crystal pearls, neoprene.

Inspired by the birds in the episode I made a necklace featuring a porcelain bird cabochon. Faceted quartz dangles on the bottom catching the light and the eye.


This mookiate cabochon's shape reminds me of a wing. It's yellow to brown color gradation makes it perfect for the Owl for this challenge. I've given the bezel a feathery cut and stamped feathers on the backside.


Vistoria Takahashi
I have had this project in the works for a long time now and the Project Runway episode about birds motivated me to finish it up.
They are my "articulated bird wing studies" made out of Brass and Sterling Silver.
I am very happy how they came out and look forward to exploring deeper into more studies.

Guest Submission:



Next Week's Challenge:
"The Final Challenge"
Due date: Thursday, October 20, midnight
Project Runway Challenge:
In this episode, the challenge was to create a mini-collection that emphasizes the designers' overall fashion vision. The designers went to Governor's Island in NYC for inspiration.

Our EtsyMetal Translation:
Create a piece inspired by the sights on Governor's Island. Never been there? Visit the website's photo gallery to see photos of the sculpture exhibition, and other photos. Need to be there to be inspired? Visit your local public park and make a piece with your inspiration (please provide a photo of your local park).



Make it work!


**guidelines for guest submissions**


Please read this every week as there may be small updates and changes. The pieces you submit must be pieces that are made specifically for that weeks challenge. Then post a link to your challenge creation in this weeks comment area before the deadline.
*We only are accepting guest submissions from our blog comment area at this time, insert your links there. Then please cross-post this to your Blog, Flickr, Etsy, etc. And tag them with "EMPR 9.12". We will post your name with a link and a picture of your piece on our blog. Thedeadline for guest submissions will be Thursday at 12 am (midnight), Pacific Standard Time. The new blog posts and the new challenge will go up the Friday after the new episode airs.

1 comment:

Leidi said...

My charm...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leidijorge/6261734827/in/photostream

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>