Friday, September 16, 2011

Project Runway: Season 9; Episode 7 - "Can't We All Just Get Along

This Week's Challenge:
Air: 9.15.11 My Lifetime, Thursdays, 9pm PST.

Project Runway Challenge:
The designers are split into teams and have to design fabrics, create a collection and produce a fashion show.

EtsyMetal Challenge Translation:
Since this challenge was about pattern and textile, our challenge is to incorporate those into a piece. Do it however you like, etching, roller printing, drawing, or just fabricate a piece that forms a pattern or texture.

I used some motifs from both teams. I liked the winning collection ALOT but I liked some of the losing team's pieces too. My ring is a double ring, set with ancient copper African coins. The coins have crazy patterns on them which reminded me of the CHAOS team's prints. I set them with alternating tab settings drawn from the cog wheel motifs of the NUTS and BOLTS team.
I like the big earrings Anya wears on the show and at 3 1/2" total length, these are small in comparison! I've textured the metal with a rolling mill using a handmade paper. I wanted to carry over the repousee I did on the back of last weeks challenge piece so have added that to the center seam along with 3 sterling balls. Finally I've brought up the fine silver to the surface for a soft, satin finish.
I went ahead and did a collection...
Sterling silver, fresh water pearl and beetle wings.
I had fun with my hammer this week and patterned a hand-cut copper disk with a large letter "I" stamp and created a cabochon out of it! The pendant ended up looking very tribal.
A surprise on the back of the pendant:
My texture/pattern was roller printed flames. They are a bit big for the earring so it is hard to make out the design. It turned out to be more of a texture than a pattern. This is a completely new style for me. Kinda like it.
Made of copper and sterling silver, I have patterned the dress using techniques of stamping, hammering, riveting and etching. This little dress is accented with faceted quartz on the belt and a peridot briolette necklace.
Corrugated and formed copper with enamel!
texture = silver wire "roses" and the chain actually has a pattern/texture stamped into it but it's hard to see in the photo.
pattern = black onyx, rutilated quartz and jade beads.
Sterling silver and copper: I really liked the Rorshach Inkblot test idea of the winning team. I used Plate V of the top ten inkblot cards, and cut it out of silver, which had been roller printed with a diamond pattern. It is riveted to a copper backing, and oxidized black. Riveted copper loops and a chain complete the necklace.
I made these little hoops with some texture. I love doing this little rope pattern.
I've always been interested in using repetition to create texture and depth, so this challenge was a lot of fun. Copper

Mike: Copper and Brass Pendant
Rochelle: Fine and Sterling Silver Broaches
I was inspired this week by Rorschach ink-blots, Team Chaos and texture. I made a few ink-blots this week and one looked like an Ant head while the other looked like a Horse skull and wasn't inspired by heads and skulls today,
so then I made some rough sketches and split them and this gave me a rough pattern of what I wanted to achieve for these earrings. Then I roller printed some sheet for a patterned effect and decided to use this for my backdrop for the fusing.
They are composed of oxidized Sterling Silver and 62 rough Diamonds and hang about 4" long.

Next Week's Challenge:
Season 9; Episode 8
Due Date: Thursday, September 22, midnight.
Project Runway Challenge:
In this episode, the challenge was to design a look for a client's wife/girlfriend.

Our EtsyMetal Challenge Translation:
Choose a look from the episode and make a piece based on what you feel the client would like to go with the garment the designer made.
-or-
Ask a man to describe what his wife/girlfriend would like - please provide the design specification you were given and photos of the outcome.
Make it work!


**guidelines for guest participants:**

Please read this every week as there may be small updates and changes. The pieces you submit must be pieces that are made specifically for that weeks challenge. Then post a link to your challenge creation in this weeks comment area before the deadline.

*We only are accepting guest submissions from our blog comment area at this time, insert your links there. Then please cross-post this to your Blog, Flickr, Etsy, etc. And tag them with "EMPR 9.8". We will post your name with a link and a picture of your piece on our blog. The deadline for guest submissions will be Thursday at 12 am (midnight), Pacific Standard Time. The new blog posts and the new challenge will go up the Friday after the new episode airs.

6 comments:

LaurenAHHH said...

I really hope Victoria posts her earrings in her Etsy shop because they are amazing!

tkmetalarts said...

Beautiful designs, everyone. These challenges look so fun.

Leidi said...

That´s a good idea for the guest submissions like mine.

Here it is mine...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leidijorge/6163948041/in/photostream

Victoria Takahashi said...

LaurenAHHH, your wish is granted! :)
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82196737/e1144-organized-chaos

Maria Apostolou said...

I really love seeing how everyone interprets the same topic in a different, creative way!
I made something for this week's episode (9.8), hope that you like it :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maria_apostolou/6169976081/in/photostream

Anniversary gift ideas said...

very nice designs and the long earrings are really very beautiful.I think everyone likes variety in her kitty...which in metal is very superb here.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>