Friday, May 6, 2011

The Usual Suspects. A quiz for geek jewellers.

In the UK we call 'em Bench Pegs, in the US they call 'em Bench Pins, they're the focul point of your workshop. Some folk have more than one in their workshop, but each is like an extra limb to the owner and as unique as a  fingerprint. Some have flat tops like Vanilla Ice's hair style, some  have sloping shoulders.....hmmm. So here is a rogues gallery of  EtsyMetal suspects. Can you match mugshot to crime? No prizes, just  the joy of your detective skills giving you a warm, clever feeling.  Answers at the bottom.










Number 1 has freckles all over, while no.16 has an ordered spatter of freckles on one side only. No.2 has long slender prongs. No 6 has solid bulky prongs with a single purposeful groove running across...for holding wire while filing perhaps? No.9 at the end of its life, is so holey my photoshop lasso tool didn't know what path to follow at all! No.15 has an interesting slit to one side and one of those grooves...very orderly. No.17 looks like a keyhole with a baby v-slot next to it, whilst no.18 has a very raggedy edge with lots of mini grooves. No.14 has a work worn surface with a definite left-leaning slot. Neat No.7 is apparently "the most beat-up one" in the workshop....if that's beat-up, then the tidy ones must be pristine! No.11 is very clean and noble. No.4 has a tiny amount of allkinds of marks on it, interesting scars along the outer sides...I'd say No.5 was tres chic! No20's peg ends up looking about as far from immaculate as her jewellery actually is. No.19 has a peg that's a mature 10yrs old and a steel part of a fine vintage 30yrs old! No.17 has a cunning magnet on the side for holding little tool parts, whereas No3 must surely be the creme-de-la-creme of pegs, with its own clamp...now who do they all belong to?


 

 

So, is it possible to match the perp' to the crime? To visit the shops, click on the images. To find out what belongs to whom;
A1.  B2.  C16.  D20.  E6.  F4.  G15.  H11.  I9.  J17.  K14.  L8.  M10.  N12. O7.  P3.  Q5.  R13.  S19.  T18.  U21.
Original mugshot photo background prior to manipulation, courtesy of photo8.com.

8 comments:

metalmusing said...

I Love it!

Anonymous said...

That was really funny! After I read this I went and looked at my bench pin to see what it currently looks like, lol!

Ann Hartley said...

Good Grief!! I thought MINE was bad!! What an awesome post!! Nice work Maria!!!

Inbar Bareket said...

That's a GREAT post Maria :-)
The bench pin is telling the story of it's owner.....
Thank you !

Michele Grady said...

LOL! that was an awesome post! Glad to see I'm not the only one who drills right into my bench pin...and the reason all my holes are on the right side...I'm left handed! I hold the jewelry with my right hand and drill with the left :)

Jennifer Lawler Designs said...

That's great! As I looked at each pin I would look back to mine to are which one closely resembled. Some of thanking like they're barely holding on! Well worn for sure. :)

Jennifer Lawler Designs said...

This was great! Some very well worn bench pins for sure!

Nodeform said...

LOL! Gosh, I really have to start putting some holes in my bench pin. It looks way too clean among all those other well aged pins.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>