Monday, August 30, 2010

Project Runway: Season 8: Episode 4 - Hats Off To You!

Hats Off To You!

Project Runway Challenge: In this episode, the challenge was to create a look inspired by a Philip Treacy hat. Watch the episode
The EtsyMetal Translation: Create a piece of jewelry to go with one of the Philip Treacy hats

This week I chose to use my dogs as my muse accessories and make them metal replicated Philip Treacy hats to wear. I fabricated these out of Copper using hollowforming techniques. I then painted, used a pink highlighter pen, glued some fur and feathers on and strapped them on the pups! Philip Teacy you are a hat god!


I chose to do a necklace to compliment this hat and outfit, partially because the neckline on the dress really begs for a necklace, and partially because I'm waiting on my silver stock and didn't have enough silver to do earrings in the size that I wanted ;o) I tried to mimic the sort of see-through cross hatching in the hat (hard to see on the photo of the hat) but only suggested it on my piece because I didn't want to get carried away and do the whole thing. The lemon quartz in reality is almost the exact same green as the hat, my camera just wasn't picking up on it.

I designed this bangle to be worn with this hat. The idea I had was to make something geometric, but also delicate, to compliment the futuristic, whimsical look of the hat.

Guest Submission:

Next Week: Episode 5
There is an "I" in Team
Concepts & Textiles
Project Runway Challenge: In this episode, the designers split into 2 teams (Team Military/Lace and Team Luxe) and each team designed a six piece collection for Fall 2010.
The EtsyMetal Challenge Translation: Create a piece choosing a concept and a textile from the same list the PR contestants had to chose from (the textile can be literal or implied):
Concepts:
minimalist
50's retro & lady-like shapes
menswear for women
military
Textiles:
gold or other metalics
camel
leopard or cheetah prints
plaid
lace
Due Date: Friday, September 3, 2010

~Make it work~

**guidelines for guest participants:**

Please read this every week as there may be small updates and changes. The pieces you submit must be pieces that are made specifically for that weeks challenge. Then post a link to your challenge creation in this weeks comment area, they will be retrieved as they come in before the deadline.

*We only are accepting guest submissions from our blog comment area at this time, insert your links there. Then please cross-post this to your Blog, Flickr, Etsy, etc. And tag them with "Project Runway Season 8 Episode 3." Currently we will post your name with a link and a picture of your piece on our blog. The deadline for guest submissions will be Friday at 6 pm, Pacific Standard Time. The new blog posts and the new challenge will go up the weekend after the new episode airs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amazing items!

idreamicanfly said...

I chose "50's retro & lady-like shapes" and "metallic". You can see my little guy here:

http://idreamicanflyaway.blogspot.com/2010/09/modernist-giraffe.html

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>