Wednesday, November 18, 2009

EMJC-PR6-Part 1-Wednesday "Meet the Designers"

Hi ya' all! Our EMJC-PR6 challenge is wrapping up with interviews from the participants. We wanted to take this week before the "Finale Part 2 Mini Collection Launch" to meet our fabulous designers on this project!

Please check back for our Finale!
"So Please Meet our Designers!"

Portland, Oregon, USA.

1-How has this experience enhanced the way you create?
I really enjoyed trying to find a way to incorporate my style and aesthetic into more complicated, one-of a kind pieces. I spend so much of my time on production work for my business, that it was really nice to design for myself instead of a customer in mind. It's funny, but having the "themes" every week intead of limiting my creativity, actually inspired me. Production work is all about designing "fast and cheap". Taking that out of the equation was very freeing for me. I enjoyed taking a concept from the abstract of the challenge guidelines to the finished product. As an added bonus, I have a few new ideas for production pieces, too!

2-What have you gained from participating in the EMJC’s?
These challenges reminded me why I love what I do. Running a business and being creative are often at odds with one another. Making the same thing 100,000 times tends to suck the creativity right out of you! After participating in this, I feel inspired and excited about metal again. I also feel that these challenges made me really push myself both technically and in my designs. I really love (most) of what I made. My confidence in my own abilities and work has grown tremendously.

3-What was your most favorite piece you made and why?
I think it would have to be the feather collar I made for the 2nd Challenge (Pregnacy). The piece came together exactly like I saw it in my head. I love how it lays when it is worn and the depth I was able to achieve with the layers of enamel. I feel that it really embodied the inspiration (my chicken).

4-What was the hardest challenge for you and why?
The Wedding Challenge was the most difficult for me. I don't do wedding jewelry, so I had a hard time wrapping my head around it. That week I really waited until the last minute to make my piece! It was the design that stumped me. Once I decided on the Claddagh as inspiration, it all came together nicely.

5-Will we see you again next season?
Absolutely!


Rachelle Stromberg
Norman, Oklahoma, USA.

1-How has this experience enhanced the way you create?
I have found that I really enjoy taking a specific concept and interpreting it in my own way. Most of the time when I am working on new pieces I design in metal, I do not usually sketch pieces out before I start them. I found that with these challenges I really thought a lot about each piece before I started working in metal. I found this to be a benefit and a detriment at the same time as I really over thought some of the pieces.

2-What have you gained from participating in the EMJC’s?
Participating in the EMJC’s was inspiring in itself. Seeing the pieces everyone made each week was so exciting, everyone’s creativity and talent inspired me want to work on my pieces even more.

3-What was your most favorite piece you made and why?
My favorite piece is the piece I made for the "Pick-a-Place!" challenge because the photo I chose was so personal and now I have a ring that makes me think of that time and place every time I wear it.

4-What was the hardest challenge for you and why?
The hardest challenge was the “Newspaper!" challenge because it really forced me to work outside my comfort zone. I started several pieces before I came up with the final piece.

5-Will we see you again next season?
Absolutely.



Nina Gibson
Anaheim, California, USA.

1-How has this experience enhanced the way you create?
Design challenges are always wonderful as they inspire me to create new things, which is always great, since sometimes I get bogged down in making production pieces. It also broadens my abilities since new designs often need new materials and techniques to accomplish. Its a wonderful way to stretch. It's also great to interact with other participants. It's fantastic to see other interpretations of the same theme.

2-What have you gained from participating in the EMJC’s?
It has given me something to blog about. What shall I write about now?!? Hopefully I won't neglect my poor blog so I can keep my precious followers. There is a wonderful sense of accomplishment gained from being able to participate in all 12 challenges!

3-What was your most favorite piece you made and why?
My favorite was the 'blue' ring. I really like the way that turned out, and because I have several of those vintage blue cabochons, I have a salable ring in my etsy shop. The prototype has already sold at a local art faire!

4-What was the hardest challenge for you and why?
I think the hardest challenge was the first one - red carpet. I like how my red carpet earrings turned out, but I went through several sketches to get there and changed it a few times during their making. The easier challenges are those with a more specific direction. I think I may tweak the design a little more still before I offer them for sale. The 'picked from a hat' challenge was also difficult as I drew 'steampunk' as a style. That is certainly outside my comfort zone. Oh, and the creation of the mini-collection is driving me crazy! The time is speeding by too quickly!

5-Will we see you again next season?
Absolutely! Bring it!


*note* I want to thank Victoria Takahashi for coordinating our challenges and for keeping on top of everything. The blog posts are beautiful and the encouragement was priceless! Thanks

(Nina, Thank you for thanking me! And thank you for being such an enthusiastic participant!)


No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>