Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Discomedusa = Caitlyn Davey

Etsymetal member, Caitlyn Davey (aka Discomedusa) creates wonderful tribal-inspired jewelry with an organic-industrial feel. In this interview she divulges her roots and inspirations...enjoy!

1. Where do you live, and where are you from?
I recently moved to rural upstate New York, where I grew up.
In the last 15 years, I've also lived in Providence, Boston, and Portland.

2. How did you get started working with metal?
After geeking out about chainmail in high school, I began taking some lessons from a jeweler in Providence. In 2004, I graduated from Massachusetts College of Art with my degree in 3d fine art (with a passion for metalworking and glass)
3. What are a few of your favorite pieces at the moment?
Some of my new 18g 'blade earring' iterations are especially streamlined and satisfying. Conversely, I always enjoy making humongous sterling silver, copper, and brass blade earrings, especially 12g and 10g.
4. What inspires you (artists, objects, interests)?
My interests and inspirations include microcosmic coffee table books, entymology, Ernst Haeckel's drawings, Blaschka glass models, tribal jewelry, indie & couture fashion.

5. Do you have any other artistic interests?
Someday soon, I'd like to make a room for my sewing machines and get busy making clothes from recycled elements.

Caitlyn's work can be found in her Etsy shop: discomedusa and on flickr. You can also read her musings on her blog.

1 comment:

discomedusa said...

thank you for the feature!
i <3 etsymetal!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>