Thursday, July 3, 2008

Tuizui

Pod Jelly Necklace

Tuizui is next up for our Member Feature and is comprised of two artists working together to create beautiful forms from precious metal clay and enamel. Here is a short interview from Ann Jenkins, one of the artists of Tuizui:

Charms Bracelet

1. Where do you live, and where are you from?

I'm originaly from Louisville, KY. and have lived in Bar Harbor,Maine for the last 15 years. I try to spend winters away: Tucson, South Carolina, Joshua Tree, Hawaii and New Zealand have all been temporary homes.

Spiral Spiral Earrings

2. How did you get started working with metal?

I was introduced to metal as a student at the Memphis Academy of Art. I had intended to be a sculpture major but took one metals class and I was hooked.

3. What are a few of your favorite pieces at the moment?

Favorites now are two recent kinetic necklaces.

Kinetic Kiwi Boat/Red Cone and Spirals Necklace

They can be arranged in all sorts of configurations and even then they keep moving. The changeabilty appeals to me.



Kinetic Kiwi/Gentian Hyperbola Necklace

Another fave is a pair of totem earrings just made for a close friend.

Hot Totem Earrings

The work on my website is devoted to nature reliquaries which double as jewelry objects. Favorite at this moment is the ovals bracelet. I keep studying it.


4. What inspires you (artists, objects, interests)?

For tuizui it is artists who do colorful direct forms like Niki de Saint Phalle, Miro, Calder. As for the nature reliquaries you can't get much more direct.

Deep Periwinkle Bowl Earrings

5. Do you have any other artistic interests?

If I had another career it would be as a landscape designer. I love making gardens---I think of them as living sculpture. And you never know what will happen. Atmospheric photography like pin hole and polaroid is something else I like. Learning how to make videos and films is high on my list too.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>